Play on King Island
Our friendly island of natural landscapes and clean air is renowned for the award-winning creamy cheeses of King Island Dairy, some of the best beef in the world, succulent local seafood, and famous long surfing beaches. Lighthouses, shipwrecks, rocky coastlines and numerous art and craft galleries are just waiting to be explored.
The vast and varied landscape is abundant with natural wonders, including an ancient calcified forest at Seal Rocks Reserve; the scenic Lavinia Nature Reserve consisting of beautiful beaches, dunes, wetlands, and lagoons; and abundant wildlife, comprised of many bird species including the many fairy penguins that can be viewed returning to the shores at dusk.
The many glorious beaches are ideal for surfing, diving, and water sports. Excellent surfing spots are found at British Admiral Beach and Martha Lavinia Beach, which is reported to be one of the best beach breaks in the world. For those less inclined, swimming is popular at secluded beaches and freshwater lagoons around the Island, and the many shipwrecks on the King Island Maritime Trail are waiting to be explored on a scuba diving expedition.
If that is not enough King Island hosts a number of annual events to entertain both visitors to the Island, and locals:
- Festival of King Island, Friday evening 31 January to Sunday 3 Februray
- King Island Agricultural, Horticultural & Pastoral Society Show - 1st Tuesday in March
- King Island Imperial 20 (coast to coast footrace) 2nd weekend in March (long weekend)
- King Island Dramatic Society play
- Queenscliff to Grassy Yacht Race 2nd weekend in March (long weekend)
- King Island Golf OpenTasmanian Recreation Day/Melbourne Cup long weekend in November
King Island is a great place for sporting activities also. Some active clubs include:
- Game Birds
- Horse Racing
- Lawn Bowls
- Surf Riders
- Tai Chi